Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Community

During the past ten months, I have come to realize the importance of community. Considering "community" is a Christian buzzword, it may have a different meaning to you than it does to me. So, I will first define community from my perspective and then I will share why I believe it is important.

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines community as "the people who live in a particular place or region and usually are linked by some common interests." I think this is an excellent definition, however, I would add "and gather in fellowship." Therefore, the Doug Searles Vocabulary Bank defines community as "the people who share location and/or interests and gather in fellowship."

The importance of community, to me, can be summarized in a few words - support, accountability and purpose - the combination of which results in a sense of belonging. Amid the constant change that defines our lives, support is essential. This type of support can vary from giving advice and listening to celebrating accomplishments and mourning defeats. Realizing that a group of people will be sharing in my successes and failures creates an automatic sense of accountability. Not that I have been living my life to please someone else, but knowing that my decisions have effect others makes me more apt to carefully consider my decisions. Receiving the support and accountability of a "community" is a part of what has helped me understand my purpose. My purpose is to succeed, not as success is typically defined, but rather as Emerson* wrote, "To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." Having a sense of and participation in community is essential in carry out my purpose for life because of the support and accountability that are created. The ability to at least attempt to carry out my purpose in life has given me a greater sense of belonging than any accomplishment. I belong here, now because I am working to achieve my purpose. This has given me a sense of peace about moving to a different part of the country because I realize that it will not affect my sense of belonging, as long as I have a community in place supporting me, holding me accountable, and help me fulfill my purpose.

While living in the Lansing area, my wife and I were extremely fortunate to have a great "community." I am endebted to the people of this community for helping forge who I am today, the man that I am supposed to be. It is my earnest hope that a "community" is awaiting our arrival in New Haven.

My final comment is that I intentionally never mentioned a number of people that are required for a community. I don't think a minimum number is necessary, because I believe any number of people greater than yourself alone can form a community.

I have a couple of requests. First, so that I can refine my definition of community, let me know what "community" means to you. Also, if there are some words that summarize why community is important to you, tell me what they are.

*Whether or not Emerson is the true writer of the quoted poem is another topic entirely

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Community is a group of people, not necessarily defined by location, who trust each other, hold one another accountable, and provide for one another (in lots of different ways).
Love your neighbor, baby!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I agree with Katie. When you have true community with someone, you can live miles apart and not talk every day but when you do come together it is as if you have never been apart!

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home